The best evidence of why we need a good salt in our diet is that our blood, sweat and tears are salty and our bodies saline solution bears the closest resemblance to the mineral composition of sea water. When we consume a good quality well balanced Sea Salt we replenish our body with essential minerals and trace elements that have been striped from refined table salts.
At Salt of the Earth we believe the best method of harvesting Sea Salt is simply by hand. Our Salt is naturally dried by the sun and wind then collected by farmers using long wooden tools. This is the only way to ensure all of the natural trace elements found in sea water are retained. 24 Minerals present in Sea Salt are regarded essential for life. These minerals work in coaction to replenish the body and flush out any excess Sodium Chloride. Enhancing the flavour of foods and aiding digestion........ It is indeed the salt of life!
Did you know that refined salt is washed & bleached making it more attractive and uniform in appearance, it is nothing more than a harmful by-product from industries that remove the minerals for their commercial value. During this process they also add anti-caking agents (Aluminium Silicate) to avoid the salt becoming moist and sometimes artificial sources of Iodine (Potassium Iodate). When the refining process is over the salt looks great, flows more easily out of your saltshaker, but 82 of the 84 trace elements have been extracted leaving you with solely Sodium Chloride. Our bodies are not designed to absorb Sodium Chloride alone, thus contributing to a wide range of health problems today.
BEWARE of cheap imitations. To ensure you are getting what you paid for consider the following criteria:
- A naturally harvested unwashed salt contains irregular crystals with sharp edges. Look out for washed salt that appears rounded and semitransparent. Just because it's a pretty colour doesn't mean you're getting a whole salt complete with ALL the minerals that should be there.
- Salt is naturally hygroscopic. This means it will attract moisture from the air. This is why refined salt contains Aluminum Silicate as an anti-caking agent, to keep it dry and free flowing. Although convenient it is not something we should consume. Some varieties of salts market themselves as a natural product, however, come dry and do not attract moisture from their air. Do the melt check – in a humid environment, place a crystal of salt of the bench. If this does not contain any anti-caking agents in a humid environment the crystal will begin to melt throughout the day.
- Salt flakes are produced by boiling salt water for 15 hours until it forms pyramid like flakes. This looks attractive and delicate, however, what minerals would be left after such intense boiling?
- The reason our Celtic Sea Salt works so well is because of the natural balance of minerals from the ocean is the same as our own bodies saline solution. We are not designed to consume pure Sodium Chloride which is why refined salt has caused so many health concerns over the years. Some salts that are mined from the mountains are from old oceans. This salt has travelled through the mountains collecting minerals over thousands of years. This dramatically alters the precious mineral balance leaving pockets completely inedible.
- When choosing a salt, you should be aware of the country of origin. What food standards are in place in this country and are they monitored by any Organic standards. Our Celtic Sea Salt holds approval by "Nature et Progres" in Europe. As part of this approval, regular testing for mineral balance and heavy metal pollutants must to be performed ensuring its purity.
- Not all salts are equal... Some salts may be marketed as Sea Salt, however, are no more than a refined product. Why pay a premium price and to receive a refined salt?
- Do the taste test… You will notice the difference yourself. Our Celtic Sea Salt has a subtle flavour that melts in your mouth and stimulates your saliva glands.